The VBL was founded on February 26, 1929 during the Weimar Republic under the original name of the Zusatzversorgungsanstalt des Reichs und der Länder (ZRL) in Berlin. Even then, the ZRL’s task was to provide the workers of the Reich administration and the administrations of the participating states as well as their surviving dependents with subsidies for the statutory pension in order to compensate for the unequal treatment between civil servants and non-civil servants in the public service. At the beginning of the 50s the VBL got its current name and moved to Karlsruhe. After the reunification of Germany, the supplementary pension was also introduced in the new federal states in 1997.
Asset allocation as of December 31, 2021. All information is as per the most recent annual report or other publicly available data via the fund's website